The St. Joseph County Road Commission has announced that – after more than a year of restoration efforts – the historic Langley Covered Bridge near Centreville is now open to traffic.
Major funding for the bridge project came from Transportation Enhancement Activity monies through the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) in the amount of $550,000 with a local match from the Road Commission.
The Road Commission’s share of the cost was funded with Michigan Transportation Funds.
The total cost of the project is approximately $950,000.
The contractor responsible for the restoration was Anlaan Corporation from Ferrysburg, Michigan.
The project entailed removal of the existing roof structure and siding, truss repair, followed by construction of a new roof structure and installation of new siding. Concrete repair work at the abutments and caissons was also part of the project.
Road Commission crews replaced the guard rail and new hot plant mix asphalt was put in place after the causeway was widened.
A date for a formal dedication ceremony will be announced later.
According to a news release announcing the re-opening, “The Road Commission would like to thank the traveling public for their patience during this extensive renovation project.”
The bridge, constructed in 1887, is a well-known St. Joseph County landmark. It is the longest of Michigan’s few remaining covered bridges – 282 feet long with three, 94-foot spans utilizing Howe-truss construction.