LANSING – The State Historic Preservation Office, Michigan State Housing Development Authority, has announced the addition of seven properties and historic districts to the National Register of Historic Places.
The Benjamin and Maria (Ogden) Drake Farmstead in Oshtemo Township and the Grand Rapids Storage and Van Company Building were among seven properties added to the nation’s list of historic structures and archaeological sites worthy of preservation. Another site, the Upper Twin Falls Bridge, which spans the Menominee River and joins Breitung Township in the Upper Peninsula’s Dickinson County to the town of Florence, Florence County, Wisconsin, was jointly nominated by the State of Michigan and the State of Wisconsin.
“Listing in the National Register of Historic Places achieves a level of recognition that is important to property owners and communities,” said State Historic Preservation Officer Brian Conway. “Our history is preserved in places like the Drake Farm, factories, houses, archaeological sites, commercial buildings, and utilitarian structures like the Grand Rapids Storage and Van Company Building. The preservation of historic buildings and archaeological sites preserves our culture and our identity.”
The most recent listings include:
Center Avenue Neighborhood Historic District (Boundary Increase and Additional Documentation)
Roughly bounded by North Madison, Green, and Center Avenues, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, and Tenth Streets, Carroll Road and Nurmi Drive, Bay City
Upper Twin Falls Bridge
Over the Menominee River, Breitung Township, Dickinson County, Michigan, and the Town of Florence, Florence County, Wisconsin
Williamston Downtown Historic District
First blocks of East and West Grand River Avenue and South Putnam Street, Williamston, Ingham County
Hanover High School Complex
105 Fairview Street, Hanover, Jackson County
Benjamin and Maria (Ogden) Drake Farmstead
927 North Drake Road (Oshtemo Charter Township), Kalamazoo vicinity, Kalamazoo County
Grand Rapids Storage and Van Company Building
1415 Lake Drive SE, Grand Rapids, Kent County
Boyne City Central Historic District
South from Boyne River to Main Street, east from Front Street along Ray and
Water Streets, Boyne Avenue to Pearl Street, Boyne City, Charlevoix County
In addition to the seven new listings, the Grand Circus Park Historic District designation was updated to provide for buildings built or renovated during the period 1930 to 1962. This will allow for the preservation of structures representing significant Modern design.
Michigan has more than 1,600 listings in the National Register of Historic Places, including some 250
districts made up of more than 20,000 properties. The State Historic Preservation Review Board considers nominations to the register three times per year. The review board forwards nominations to the keeper of the National Register, National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior. The State Historic Preservation Office coordinates the National Register Program in Michigan. For information on the National Register of Historic Places and other programs of the State Historic Preservation Office, visit www.michigan.gov/shpo or call (517) 373-1630.
The State Historic Preservation Office is part of the Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) , which provides financial and technical assistance through public and private partnerships to create and preserve decent, affordable housing for low- and moderate-income residents and to engage in community economic development activities to revitalize urban and rural communities.
Editor’s Note: The Downtown Three Rivers Commercial District is among five historic sites in Three Rivers.
Source: Website for State Historic Preservation Office, Michigan State Housing Development Authority